Hysteria Lane
 
i am making no promises...if i have something to say i'll post it here...
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
plant yourself

In lieu of flowers, I planted myself.

Seriously.

The flower bed out front used to house your average shrub...now it has become a home to me, my neighborhood girl friends and our respective children.

It all began the day we decided to pull said shrubs...they were big and unruly and attracted bugs, my mortal enemy. For weeks the flowerbed out front stayed empty.

Meanwhile, our kids who love to ride bikes and play out front on the large, flat surface of our driveway were having a ball. We moms found ourselves either standing around or sitting on the concrete watching our little "angels" ride all around. (the "angel" above is mine :-)

One day, after days of complaining that we needed seating, I took myself to the 'Supercenter' and purchased what I needed to plant myself. I killed weeds, raked, mulched and arranged the seating just so.

That evening, when the kids begged to go ride bikes, I went with pleasure! And, weather permitted we have all met out front to play and chat in the evenings that followed. The garage freezer is loaded with Popsicles and the fridge with Corona's and lime. Sometimes (read, most times) the 'wine cube' has made it out front as well.

Of all the home improvements I have attempted over the years this one has to be my greatest accomplishment. Even the husbands have gotten in on the action and sit with us. Its a good time...

The moral of my story: Friends are as important as family and community, even if its just the neighborhood, can be a life saver.
So, plant yourself.

Labels: , ,

posted by averagejane @ 1:42 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At August 21, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Blogger Political.Asylum said…

    Sharpen you smartassery skills by posting at the Sarcastic Idiocy Forum and help bring an end to whirled peas with every post you make!

    http://www.thesif.net/SIF/index.php?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: averagejane
Home: Texas
About Me: In spite of everyones best efforts to make me someone I am not, I became me. I like me.
My Profile
Previous Post
Archives
Worth Sharing
Third Time's A Charm
...a smart blog
Cake Wrecks
...hillarius